On April 5, weather permitting, construction on a new diverging diamond interchange project will begin at the existing K-113 and K-18 interchange. The project includes replacing the existing diamond interchange with a new diverging diamond style interchange (DDI) on K-113 at K-18 (K-18 bridges will not be affected). Work will take place during daylight hours, Monday through Friday, with some occasional weekend work.
The project will be completed in 5 phases with traffic carried through the project in both directions as follows:
- Phase 1: Construction of west half of project, including the ramps from K-113 to westbound K-18 and eastbound K-18 to K-113.
- Phase 2: Construction of east half of project, including the ramps from westbound K-18 to K-113 and K-113 to eastbound K-18. Traffic impacts: Access to Allison Avenue will be closed.
- Phase 3: Construct concrete barriers. Traffic impacts: Access to Allison Avenue will be closed.
- Phase 4: Construct concrete medians. Access to Allison Avenue will be reopened once traffic signal installation work is completed in the south crossover area.
- Phase 5: Construct final 1.5-inch asphalt overlay and installation ofpermanent pavement markings and signage.
Beginning April 5, northbound and southbound K-113 traffic will be reduced to one lane in each direction throughout the project duration. K-18 through traffic will not be affected. K-113 traffic will have one 12-foot lane width restriction in each direction and a posted 25 mph speed limit. Traffic will be directed through the project work zone via barricades, cones and signage.
Please be alert, use caution and obey all traffic control signs through this work zone. Construction is anticipated to be complete in November.
Source: KMAN Local News