The Manhattan Fire Department says improperly discarded smoking materials were to blame for a structure fire in southwest Manhattan Tuesday night.
Firefighters were dispatched to 156 North Dartmouth just before 9:30 p.m., with heavy fire showing from the back of the home, extending into the attic. The blaze was brought under control within 30 minutes. Riley County EMS evaluated one occupant for smoke inhalation.
Residents were home at the time but were able to evacuate. Loss is estimated at $100,000 to the structure and contents.
The fire department reminds the public to discard smoking materials in an approved container filled with sand or water.