Commercial flights at the Manhattan Regional Airport were suspended May 5th for a $30 million runway reconstruction project, and the Airport Advisory Board received an exciting update during their Monday meeting.
Envoy Manhattan Regional Airport General Manager Brennan Walter,
During last month’s meeting, the board was informed that American Airlines decided to suspend all flights from the airport until September 6th rather than the initial plan of September 1st.
Walter said there is not a specific date the airline will inform him of the request’s approval or rejection.
Also during Monday’s meeting, the board heard updates on the status of the reconstruction project.
Airport Director Brandon Keazer said approximately 600 feet of concrete has been replaced on the primary runway’s northeastern section. The project’s recently added Phase 2C began last week.
General aviation flights will be suspended for Phase 3 starting Friday at 7:00 a.m. GA flights can resume after the start of Phase 4 on July 19th.
Keazer said despite the airport and runway closure, certain facilities will remain open.
More information about the project and a current timeline can be found on the airport’s website.