A fire caused by a mower prompted emergency response by Pottawatomie County fire crews Thursday afternoon.

First responders were called to the vicinity of the intersection of Sales and Westmoreland Roads, South of Fostoria. Scanner traffic indicated the mower had caused a grass fire within 20 yards of a structure, though the reporting party was able to stomp it out before fire crews arrived.

According to Pottawatomie County Fire Supervisor Jared Barnes, Westmoreland 7 Township Volunteer Fire Department responded and stayed on scene to ensure the fire was fully extinguished.

Barnes noted that with grass as dry as it currently is in the region, sparks from a lawn mower can lead to fires. He asks that the public use caution when using equipment with the potential to cause heat or sparks especially around dry grasses and plants.